Jan’s Tutoring House
Our mission is to provide educational and enrichment activities for inner city Washington, DC school-age children and youth. We believe that this is best accomplished through one-on-one mentoring and tutoring, in a safe place, with nutritional support, through after-school and summer programs.
Jan’s Tutoring House was originally called Friends of Tyler School because tutors met with students at John Tyler Elementary School. The program grew, and students and tutors moved to a nearby McDonalds. Eventually, the program matured into even more suitable space, thanks to Jan’s dynamic and prodding leadership. The program rented, then purchased, our adjacent townhouses at 1527 and 1529 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE.
JTH programs were established by Jan Eichhorn.
JTH is funded by direct contributions from members of the community, foundation grants and corporate giving programs.
JTH operates on low overhead due to volunteer tutors and a volunteer board. Virtually all funds raised and in-kind contributions are allocated to services for community children.
You must log in to post a comment.